Sunday, June 28, 2015

On the eve of my first day...

Hi all! Thanks for being here! Please, please, contain your excitement.

As most of you know, I've decided to take the summer off from my job as a speech therapist and focus more on what I absolutely love to learn more about: chefness. Don't worry, Ampark, I have no plans of a career change (immediate or eventual); this is purely an endeavor to explore and develop a hobby.

I'm always looking up new recipes, new techniques to try out on my shabbos guinea pigs, and I super enjoy playing around in the kitchen with new ideas. This interest of mine may sometimes manifest itself in my reading entire cookbooks aloud, Instagram food tags, and/or Wednesday night cooking lessons. I don't apologize for it. I'll keep reading recipes out loud, even if you don't want to hear it.

And so, I applied to the Center for Kosher Culinary Arts for the summer semester, and I am pumped! (Mainly pumped for the chef's coat). This is an 8 week, intensive full-time program that will help me develop my technique in the kitchen, flavor profiles, and just general culinary knowledge. Also, I'm freaking out a little. This isn't just playing around in the kitchen, testing out new ideas and recipes. I fear it'll be a bit more intense than I had thought, but I guess we'll find out more about that tomorrow.

So, bear with me, please, as I use this blog to share, vent, and freak out about my time in the kitchen.

I'll try to post a few times throughout the week, maybe upload some pictures of my dishes, and obviously, shots of me in a chef's coat. Because let's face it, that's really what I'm here for. Isn't that what you're here for?

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo. I am officially off the hook for all cooking needs in 1F. I can't wait to try all you new dishes. Go Shira, we are rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAHOO SHIRA!!!!! Blog away baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you, Shira! And I am excited to read this blog cuz I have always wondered about the cool stuff they teach in culinary school! So please tell us all the tricks u learn! Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaaaayyy shira! I love that you are blogging about this and I ABSOLUTELY adore the puntastic title! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly, I can see you in my kitchen when you come to Memphis to visit your Bubbe Welcome any time!! Love you, Very Proud in many ways BUBBE

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes yes yes! I hope it is more intense than you imagined because then you will come out of it that much better. I can't wait to get in the kitchen with you! August, perhaps? Also, Bubbe said Golly.

    ReplyDelete