Thursday, July 2, 2015

Potato, Potahto

Spuds. Everywhere.

This was way different than the way I usually make my potatoes. The kitchen was overflowing with potatoes being julienned, mashed, rounded, and mushroomed (but not fluted). Check this out: I cut around the bottom of a potato and left the top round to make the whole thing look like a mushroom.
Spiced and roasted them and drizzled with truffle oil and fresh parsley. It was delicious!

I also made potato croquettes, which kind of look like mozzarella sticks. I scooped out the inside of 2 lbs of potatoes, ran them through a food mill so they were real creamy. Added fresh ground nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and 1 egg and 2 egg yolks. The dough then went into a piping bag and I piped strips on the back of a cookie sheet:
Then cut and froze them (to harden) and then cut them into cork sized strips and breaded them in flour, eggs, and bread crumbs.

Then. I. Fried. Them.
They were so delicious and the entire kitchen smelled like Chanuka!
Here are some of the other things we made today:

Tip of the day: When breading food, set up the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 consecutive pans. Season every pan. Maybe add some herbs to the bread crumbs to give it some color. Once you start to bread, keep one hand dry and one hand wet so it's easier to handle. Use your right hand to dip into the flour, shake it off, drop it in the egg, and use your left hand to move it from the egg to  the bread crumbs. Then use your right hand again. It'll make breading a whole lot easier. 

6 comments:

  1. You should really start reconsidering your career choice. I hope you are writing down every recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lins! You really think so?! AH!

      I have all recipes with me! We can share stuff when you come to NY next month!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Shev, I was going to invite you for legume day and fish day. Interested?

      Delete
  3. So you're saying this wasn't a very low carb day.....

    ReplyDelete